commissariat(redirected from commissariats)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A department of an army in charge of providing food and other supplies for the troops.
2. A food supply.
3. A major government department in the Soviet Union until 1946.
[French, from Medieval Latin commissārius, agent; see commissary. Sense 3, from Russian komissariat, from French commissariat.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) (in the former Soviet Union) a government department before 1946. Now called: ministry
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. a military department in charge of food supplies, equipment, etc
b. the offices of such a department
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) food supplies
[C17: from New Latin commissāriātus, from Medieval Latin commissārius commissary]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
com•mis•sar•i•at(ˌkɒm əˈsɛər i ət)
1. a major governmental division in the U.S.S.R.: called ministry after 1946.
2. the organized method by which food, equipment, etc., is delivered to armies.
3. the department of an army charged with supplying provisions.
[1600–10; < New Latin commissāriātus= Medieval Latin commissāri(us) commissary + -ātus -ate3; (definition 1) < Russian komissariát « New Latin, as above]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||commissariat - a stock or supply of foods |
food cache - food in a secure or hidden storage place
larder - a supply of food especially for a household
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
commissariat[ˌkɒmɪˈsɛərɪət] N → comisaría f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
commissariat[ˌkɒmɪˈsɛəriət] n (MILITARY) → intendance f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
commissariat[ˌkɒmɪˈsɛərɪət] n (in former Soviet Union) → commissariato (Mil) → commissariato militare
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995