acceptation(redirected from common acceptations)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. The usual or accepted meaning, as of a word or expression: In one of its acceptations value is a technical term in music.
2. Favorable reception; approval.
(Linguistics) the accepted meaning, as of a word, phrase, etc
ac•cep•ta•tion(ˌæk sɛpˈteɪ ʃən)
1. the usual or accepted meaning of a word, phrase, etc.
2. favorable regard; approval.
3. belief; acceptance as valid or true.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Middle French]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||acceptation - acceptance as true or valid |
acceptance - the state of being acceptable and accepted; "torn jeans received no acceptance at the country club"
|2.||acceptation - the accepted meaning of a word|
|3.||acceptation - the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception; "its adoption by society"; "the proposal found wide acceptance"|
embrace, bosom - a close affectionate and protective acceptance; "his willing embrace of new ideas"; "in the bosom of the family"