Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to common denominator: lowest common denominator
1. Mathematics A quantity into which all the denominators of a set of fractions may be divided without a remainder.
2. A commonly shared trait, characteristic, or element: "The relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia has been a complicated marriage of shared interests, clashing values and cynical accommodations. The common denominator was a desire for stability" (Peter Baker & Michael D. Shear). "Some are citizens and some are immigrants, yet the common denominator in all these stories is their experiences of marginalization and discrimination" (Maria Chávez).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) an integer exactly divisible by each denominator of a group of fractions: , , and have a common denominator of 12
2. a belief, attribute, etc, held in common by members of a class or group
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a number that is a multiple of all the denominators of a set of fractions.
2. a trait, characteristic, belief, or the like common to or shared by all members of a group.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A quantity into which all the denominators of a set of fractions may be divided without a remainder. For example, the fractions 1/3 and 2/5 have a common denominator of 15.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||common denominator - an integer that is a common multiple of the denominators of two or more fractions|
denominator - the divisor of a fraction
|2.||common denominator - an attribute that is common to all members of a category|
attribute - an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.