communicable(redirected from communicableness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Transmittable between persons or species; contagious: communicable diseases.
2. Readily communicated: communicable ideas.
com·mu′ni·ca·bil′i·ty, com·mu′ni·ca·ble·ness n.
1. capable of being communicated
2. (Pathology) (of a disease or its causative agent) capable of being passed on readily
comˌmunicaˈbility, comˈmunicableness n
com•mu•ni•ca•ble(kəˈmyu nɪ kə bəl)
1. capable of being easily communicated or transmitted: a communicable disease.
2. talkative; communicative.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Late Latin]
com•mu`ni•ca•bil′i•ty, com•mu′ni•ca•ble•ness, n.
Capable of being transmitted from person to person. Chickenpox is a communicable disease. See Note at infectious.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||communicable - (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection|
infectious - easily spread; "fear is exceedingly infectious; children catch it from their elders"- Bertrand Russell
|2.||communicable - readily communicated; "communicable ideas"|
communicable[kəˈmjuːnɪkəbəl] adj (= infectious, contagious) [disease] → transmissible
a. contagioso-a; comunicable;
___ disease control → control de enfermedades ___.