Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A substitution, exchange, or interchange.
a. The substitution of one kind of payment for another.
b. The payment substituted.
3. The travel of a commuter.
a. Conversion of alternating to unidirectional current.
b. Reversal of current direction.
5. Law Reduction of a penalty to a less severe one.
[Middle English commutacioun, from Latin commūtātiō, commūtātiōn-, from commūtātus, past participle of commūtāre, to alter, exchange; see commute.]
1. a substitution or exchange
a. the replacement of one method of payment by another
b. the payment substituted
3. (Law) the reduction in severity of a penalty imposed by law
4. (Electronics) the process of commutating an electric current
5. US the travelling done by a commuter
com•mu•ta•tion(ˌkɒm yəˈteɪ ʃən)
1. the act of substituting one thing for another; substitution; exchange.
2. the changing of a prison sentence or other penalty to another less severe.
3. the act of commuting, as to and from a place of work.
4. the substitution of one kind of payment for another.
5. the act or process of commutating.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||commutation - the travel of a commuter|
|2.||commutation - a warrant substituting a lesser punishment for a greater one|
warrant - a writ from a court commanding police to perform specified acts
|3.||commutation - (law) the reduction in severity of a punishment imposed by law|
mercy, clemency, mercifulness - leniency and compassion shown toward offenders by a person or agency charged with administering justice; "he threw himself on the mercy of the court"
|4.||commutation - the act of putting one thing or person in the place of another: "he sent Smith in for Jones but the substitution came too late to help"|
change - the action of changing something; "the change of government had no impact on the economy"; "his change on abortion cost him the election"
replacement, replacing - the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another; "replacing the star will not be easy"
subrogation - (law) the act of substituting of one creditor for another