Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
One that compresses, especially:
a. A pump or other machine that increases the pressure of a gas.
b. An instrument or device that compresses, such as a forceps or clamp.
c. A muscle that causes compression of a body part.
1. (General Engineering) any reciprocating or rotating device that compresses a gas
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the part of a gas turbine that compresses the air before it enters the combustion chambers
3. (Physiology) any muscle that causes compression of any part or structure
4. (Medicine) a medical instrument for holding down a part of the body
1. a person or thing that compresses.
2. a muscle that compresses a part of the body.
3. a pump or other machine for reducing volume and increasing pressure of gases in order to condense the gases, drive pneumatically powered machinery, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||compressor - a mechanical device that compresses gasses|
air compressor - a compressor that takes in air at atmospheric pressure and delivers it at a higher pressure
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles
supercharger - compressor that forces increased oxygen into the cylinders of an internal-combustion engine