Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
One that compresses, especially:
a. A pump or other machine that increases the pressure of a gas.
b. An instrument or device that compresses, such as a forceps or clamp.
c. A muscle that causes compression of a body part.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Engineering) any reciprocating or rotating device that compresses a gas
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the part of a gas turbine that compresses the air before it enters the combustion chambers
3. (Physiology) any muscle that causes compression of any part or structure
4. (Medicine) a medical instrument for holding down a part of the body
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that compresses.
2. a muscle that compresses a part of the body.
3. a pump or other machine for reducing volume and increasing pressure of gases in order to condense the gases, drive pneumatically powered machinery, etc.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||compressor - a mechanical device that compresses gasses|
air compressor - a compressor that takes in air at atmospheric pressure and delivers it at a higher pressure
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles
supercharger - compressor that forces increased oxygen into the cylinders of an internal-combustion engine
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
compressor[kəmˈprɛsər] n (= machine) → compresseur m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
compressor[kəmˈprɛsəʳ] n → compressore m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995