Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
comp·trol·ler(kŏmp-trō′lər, kən-trō′-, kŏmp′trō′-)
An officer who audits accounts and supervises the financial affairs of a corporation or of a governmental body. Also called controller.
Usage Note: The spelling comptroller developed around 1500 from controller as a result of an association between cont and the etymologically unrelated word count, which was sometimes spelled compte in Middle English. Historically, comptroller was pronounced just like controller, but as more people began to read, they saw the letters mp and started pronouncing them. The pronunciations (kŏmp-trō′lər) and (kŏmp′trō′lər) became widespread. In our 1995 survey, 43 percent of the Usage Panel pronounced comptroller like controller, while 57 percent pronounced it with (mp), mirroring the mp spelling, with stress on either the first or second syllable. By 2011, only 30 percent of the Panel pronounced comptroller like controller. The remainder (70 percent) preferred pronouncing mp as (mp), with the stress either on the second syllable (45 percent) or the first (25 percent). The pronunciation thus appears to be in flux, with each of the three variants enjoying the support of a significant portion of the Usage Panel. Speakers may want to bear in mind, though, that if they say (kŏmp′trō′lər), with stress on the first syllable, half of their literate listeners will think they are mispronouncing the word (half of the Panelists disapproved of this pronunciation). But putting the stress on the second syllable (kŏmp-trō′lər) will not save you from censure either; a quarter of the Panelists found this pronunciation unacceptable.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Accounting & Book-keeping) a variant spelling of controller, used esp as a title of any of various financial executives
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a government official or an officer of a business firm, usu. the chief accountant, who superintends financial accounts and transactions; comptroller.
2. a person who regulates, directs, or restrains.
3. a regulating mechanism.
[1350–1400; Middle English countrollour < Anglo-French countrero(u)llour, Middle French contrerolleur=contrerolle duplicate roll (see control) + -eur, -our < Latin -ōr- -or2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||comptroller - someone who maintains and audits business accounts|
auditor - a qualified accountant who inspects the accounting records and practices of a business or other organization
bean counter - an accountant or bureaucrat who is believed to place undue emphasis on the control of expenditures
bookkeeper - someone who records the transactions of a business
certified public accountant, CPA - an accountant who has passed certain examinations and met all other statutory and licensing requirements of a United States state to be certified by that state; "in addition to accounting and auditing, CPAs also prepare tax returns for individuals and corporations"
chartered accountant - a British or Canadian accountant who is a member of a professional body that has a royal charter
cost accountant - a specialist in the systematic recording and analysis of the costs incident to production
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
comptroller[kənˈtrəʊləʳ] N → interventor(a) m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (form) → Rechnungsprüfer m, → Bücherrevisor m; Comptroller of the Queen’s Household Beamter des Rechnungshofes, der die königlichen Finanzen überprüft
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007