Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
goodwill, friendship; a treaty; compact; covenant; agreement: in concord with a decision
Not to be confused with:
conquered – subdued; overcame by force; gained victory over; mastered: I came, I saw, I conquered.
1. A town of eastern Massachusetts on the Concord River west-northwest of Boston. An early battle of the American Revolution was fought here on April 19, 1775. In the 19th century the town was noted as an intellectual and literary center.
2. The capital of New Hampshire, in the south-central part of the state on the Merrimack River. It became the capital in 1808.
1. Harmony or agreement of interests or feelings; accord.
2. A treaty establishing peaceful relations.
3. Grammar Agreement between words in person, number, gender, or case.
4. Music A harmonious combination of simultaneously sounded tones.
1. agreement or harmony between people or nations; amity
2. a treaty establishing peaceful relations between nations
3. agreement or harmony between things, ideas, etc
4. (Music, other) music a combination of musical notes, esp one containing a series of consonant intervals. Compare discord3
5. (Grammar) grammar another word for agreement6
[C13: from Old French concorde, from Latin concordia, from concors of the same mind, harmonious, from com- same + cor heart]
1. (Placename) a town in NE Massachusetts: scene of one of the opening military actions (1775) of the War of American Independence. Pop: 16 937 (2003 est)
2. (Placename) a city in New Hampshire, the state capital: printing, publishing. Pop: 41 823 (2003 est)
con•cord(ˈkɒn kɔrd, ˈkɒŋ-)
1. agreement between persons, groups, etc.
2. agreement between things.
4. peace; amity.
5. a treaty; compact.
6. a stable, harmonious combination of musical tones; a chord requiring no resolution.
[1250–1300; Middle English concorde < Old French < Latin concordia=concord-, s. of concors harmonious (con- con- + cors, s. cord- heart) + -ia -ia]
Con•cord(ˈkɒŋ kərd for 1, 2, 5, 6; ˈkɒn kɔrd, ˈkɒŋ- for 3, 4; for 5, 6 also ˈkɒn kɔrd, ˈkɒŋ-)
1. a city in W California, near San Francisco. 114,850.
2. a city in and the capital of New Hampshire, in the S part. 30,400.
3. a town in E Massachusetts, NW of Boston: second battle of the Revolution fought here April 19, 1775. 16,293.
4. Also called Con′cord grape′. a cultivated variety of the fox grape used in making jelly, juice, and wine.
5. a sweet red wine from the Concord grape.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Concord - capital of the state of New Hampshire; located in south central New Hampshire on the Merrimack river|
|2.||concord - a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole|
order - established customary state (especially of society); "order ruled in the streets"; "law and order"
peace - harmonious relations; freedom from disputes; "the roommates lived in peace together"
comity - a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect
|3.||concord - the determination of grammatical inflection on the basis of word relations|
grammatical relation - a linguistic relation established by grammar
number agreement - agreement in number between words in the same grammatical construction (e.g., between adjectives and the nouns they modify)
person agreement - agreement in person between pronouns and verbs
case agreement - agreement in grammatical case between words in the same construction
gender agreement - agreement in grammatical gender between words in the same construction
|4.||Concord - town in eastern Massachusetts near Boston where the first battle of the American Revolution was fought|
|5.||concord - agreement of opinions|
agreement - the verbal act of agreeing
|6.||Concord - the first battle of the American Revolution (April 19, 1775)|
American Revolution, American Revolutionary War, American War of Independence, War of American Independence - the revolution of the American Colonies against Great Britain; 1775-1783
|Verb||1.||concord - go together; "The colors don't harmonize"; "Their ideas concorded"|
correspond, gibe, jibe, match, tally, agree, fit, check - be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics; "The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
|2.||concord - arrange by concord or agreement; "Concord the conditions for the marriage of the Prince of Wales with a commoner"|
|3.||concord - arrange the words of a text so as to create a concordance; "The team concorded several thousand nouns, verbs, and adjectives"|
|4.||concord - be in accord; be in agreement; "We agreed on the terms of the settlement"; "I can't agree with you!"; "I hold with those who say life is sacred"; "Both philosophers concord on this point"|
settle - end a legal dispute by arriving at a settlement; "The two parties finally settled"
conciliate, patch up, reconcile, settle, make up - come to terms; "After some discussion we finally made up"
see eye to eye - be in agreement; "We never saw eye to eye on this question"
agree - achieve harmony of opinion, feeling, or purpose; "No two of my colleagues would agree on whom to elect chairman"
1. harmony, accord, peace, agreement, concert, friendship, consensus, goodwill, unison, good understanding, rapport, unanimity, amity, consonance A climate of concord and tolerance prevails among the Muslim and Christian Egyptian citizens.
1. Harmonious mutual understanding:
Idiom: meeting of the minds.
2. Pleasing agreement, as of musical sounds:
إتِّفاق، سَلام، وِئام
agreement; state of peace. eenstemmigheid; eendrag; kongruensie; sameklank, konsonansie إتِّفاق، سَلام، وِئام съгласие acordo shoda, soulad die Eintracht overensstemmelse; harmoni ομόνοιαconcordia üksmeel توافق؛ سازش sopusointu ententeהרמוניה मेल, एकता sklad, sloga egyetértés, összhang persetujuan samkomulag concordia; accordo 調和 일치, 평화 sutarimas, santarvė saskaņa; vienprātība perjanjian damai overeenkomst, harmonieenighet, samhold, overenskomstzgoda جوړه، موافقه، رضايت، توافق acordo înţelegere согласие zhoda, svornosť dogovor sloga överenskommelse, endräkt ความสอดคล้องกัน uyum, barış 和諧，一致 згода; угода معاہدہ ، میثاق thỏa ước 和谐，一致