Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to concordance: concordance rate
1. Agreement; concord.
2. An alphabetical index of all the words in a text or corpus of texts, showing every contextual occurrence of a word: a concordance of Shakespeare's works.
3. Genetics The presence of a given trait in both members of a pair of twins.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a state or condition of agreement or harmony
2. (Library Science & Bibliography) a book that indexes the principal words in a literary work, often with the immediate context and an account of the meaning
3. (Library Science & Bibliography) an index produced by computer or machine, alphabetically listing every word in a text
4. an alphabetical list of subjects or topics
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
con•cord•ance(kɒnˈkɔr dns, kən-)
1. agreement; concord; harmony.
2. an alphabetical index of the principal words or topics of a book.
3. (in genetic studies) the degree of similarity in a pair of twins with respect to the presence or absence of a particular disease or trait.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Anglo-French, Middle French < Medieval Latin concordantia. See concord, -ance]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||concordance - a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole|
order - established customary state (especially of society); "order ruled in the streets"; "law and order"
peace - harmonious relations; freedom from disputes; "the roommates lived in peace together"
comity - a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect
|2.||concordance - agreement of opinions|
agreement - the verbal act of agreeing
|3.||concordance - an index of all main words in a book along with their immediate contexts|
index - an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007