Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. The act or process of concreting into a mass; coalescence.
b. The state of having been concreted: a concretion of seminal ideas in her treatise.
2. A solid hard mass.
3. Geology A rounded mass of mineral matter found in sedimentary rock.
4. Medicine A solid mass, usually composed of inorganic material, formed in a cavity or tissue of the body; a calculus.
con·cre′tion·ar′y (-shə-nĕr′ē) adj.
1. the act or process of coming or growing together; coalescence
2. a solid or solidified mass
3. something made real, tangible, or specific
4. (Geological Science) any of various rounded or irregular mineral masses formed by chemical precipitation around a nucleus, such as a bone or shell, that is different in composition from the sedimentary rock that surrounds it
5. (Pathology) pathol another word for calculus
con•cre•tion(kɒnˈkri ʃən, kɒŋ-)
1. the act or process of concreting or becoming substantial; coalescence; solidification.
2. the state of being concreted.
3. a solid mass formed by or as if by coalescence or cohesion: a concretion of melted candies.
4. anything that is made real, tangible, or particular.
5. a solid or calcified mass in the body formed by a disease process.
6. a rounded mass of mineral matter occurring in sandstone, clay, etc., often in concentric layers about a nucleus.
[1535–45; < Latin]
Concretiona lump, nodule, or clot; a cohesion of particles.
Examples: concretion of ceremonial matters, 1634; of marine shells, 1796; of salt, 1697; of slime, 1626.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||concretion - the formation of stonelike objects within a body organ (e.g., the kidneys)|
|2.||concretion - a hard lump produced by the concretion of mineral salts; found in hollow organs or ducts of the body; "renal calculi can be very painful"|
enterolith - a calculus occurring in the intestines
ptyalith - calculus in a salivary gland
urolith - a urinary stone
|3.||concretion - an increase in the density of something|
concentration - increase in density
|4.||concretion - the union of diverse things into one body or form or group; the growing together of parts|