Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
tr.v. con·demned, con·demn·ing, con·demns
1. To express strong disapproval of: condemned the needless waste of food. See Synonyms at criticize.
2. To pronounce judgment against; sentence: condemned the felons to prison.
3. To judge or declare to be unfit for use or consumption, usually by official order: condemn an old building.
4. To force (someone) to experience, endure, or do something: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (George Santayana).
5. To lend credence to or provide evidence for an adverse judgment against: were condemned by their actions.
6. Law To appropriate (property) for public use.
[Middle English condemnen, from Old French condemner, from Latin condemnāre : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + damnāre, to sentence (from damnum, penalty).]
con·dem′na·ble (-dĕm′nə-bəl) adj.
con·dem′na·to′ry (-nə-tôr′ē) adj.
con·demn′er (-dĕm′ər), con·dem′nor (-dĕm′ər, -dĕm-nôr′) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
condemnatory(ˌkɒndɛmˈneɪtərɪ; kənˈdɛmnətərɪ; -trɪ)
expressing strong disapproval or censure
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||condemnatory - containing or imposing condemnation or censure; "a condemnatory decree"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective critical, accusing, disapproving, scathing, censorious, accusatory, proscriptive He was justified in some of his condemnatory outbursts.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
condemnatory[ˌkɒndemˈneɪtərɪ] ADJ → condenatorio
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
condemnatory[ˌkɒndɛmˈneɪtəri kənˈdɛmnətəri] adj → réprobateur/trice
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007