Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or process of confecting or the result of it: "These sentiments are not the confection of a consummate courtroom actor" (Ron Rosenbaum).
2. A sweet prepared food, such as candy or cake.
3. A sweetened medicinal compound; an electuary.
4. A piece displaying splendid craft, skill, and work: The gown was a confection of satin and appliqué.
tr.v. con·fec·tioned, con·fec·tion·ing, con·fec·tions
To make into a confection.
1. the act or process of compounding or mixing
2. (Cookery) any sweet preparation of fruit, nuts, etc, such as a preserve or a sweet
3. (Clothing & Fashion) old-fashioned an elaborate article of clothing, esp for women
4. informal anything regarded as overelaborate or frivolous: the play was merely an ingenious confection.
5. (Pharmacology) a medicinal drug sweetened with sugar, honey, etc
[C14: from Old French, from Latin confectiō a preparing, from conficere to produce; see confect]
1. a sweet preparation, as a candy or preserve.
2. the process of confecting something.
3. something, as a book or play, regarded as frivolous, amusing, or contrived.
4. something made up or confected; concoction.
5. something, as a garment, that is very delicate or elaborate.
6. a medicinal preparation made with sugar, honey, or syrup.v.t.
7. Archaic. to prepare as a confection.
[1300–50; Middle English < Latin]
Confection, Confectionerysweetmeats, pastry, etc.; a composition of a light nature, either musical of literary.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||confection - a food rich in sugar|
confectionery - candy and other sweets considered collectively; "the business decided to concentrate on confectionery and soft drinks"
confiture - preserved or candied fruit
sweetmeat - a sweetened delicacy (as a preserve or pastry)
hardbake - a British sweet made with molasses and butter and almonds
candied apple, candy apple, caramel apple, taffy apple, toffee apple - an apple that is covered with a candy-like substance (usually caramelized sugar)
centre, center - the sweet central portion of a piece of candy that is enclosed in chocolate or some other covering
comfit - candy containing a fruit or nut
nonpareil - colored beads of sugar used as a topping on e.g. candies and cookies
|2.||confection - the act of creating something (a medicine or drink or soup etc.) by compounding or mixing a variety of components|
creating from raw materials - the act of creating something that is different from the materials that went into it
|Verb||1.||confection - make into a confection; "This medicine is home-confected"|