Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. con·found·ed, con·found·ing, con·founds
1. To cause to become confused or perplexed. See Synonyms at perplex.
2. To fail to distinguish; mix up: Don't confound fiction and fact.
3. To make (something bad) worse: Do not confound the problem by losing your temper.
4. To cause to be ashamed; abash: an invention that confounded the skeptics.
5. Used in mild curses: Confound you!
a. To frustrate or thwart: trivial demands that confounded the peace talks.
b. Archaic To defeat or overthrow (an enemy).
[Middle English confounden, from Anglo-Norman confundre, from Latin cōnfundere, to mix together, confuse : com-, com- + fundere, to pour; see gheu- in Indo-European roots.]
1. to astound or perplex; bewilder
2. to mix up; confuse
3. to treat mistakenly as similar to or identical with (one or more other things)
4. to curse or damn (usually as an expletive in the phrase confound it!)
5. to contradict or refute (an argument, etc)
6. to rout or defeat (an enemy)
7. obsolete to waste
[C13: from Old French confondre, from Latin confundere to mingle, pour together, from fundere to pour]
con•found(kɒnˈfaʊnd, kən-; for 6 usu. ˈkɒnˈfaʊnd)
1. to perplex or amaze; bewilder; confuse.
2. to throw into confusion or disorder.
3. to throw into increased confusion or disorder.
4. to treat or regard erroneously as identical; mix or associate by mistake: truth confounded with error.
5. to mingle so that the elements cannot be distinguished or separated.
6. to damn (used in mild imprecations): Confound it!
7. to contradict or refute.
8. to put to shame; abash.
a. to defeat or overthrow.
b. to bring to ruin or naught.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Anglo-French confoundre < Latin confundere to mix]
Past participle: confounded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||confound - be confusing or perplexing to; cause to be unable to think clearly; "These questions confuse even the experts"; "This question completely threw me"; "This question befuddled even the teacher"|
demoralize - confuse or put into disorder; "the boss's behavior demoralized everyone in the office"
bewilder, dumbfound, flummox, baffle, mystify, nonplus, perplex, puzzle, stupefy, amaze, gravel, vex, pose, stick, beat, get - be a mystery or bewildering to; "This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
disconcert, flurry, confuse, put off - cause to feel embarrassment; "The constant attention of the young man confused her"
be - have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"
|2.||confound - mistake one thing for another; "you are confusing me with the other candidate"; "I mistook her for the secretary"|
obnubilate, obscure, blur, confuse - make unclear, indistinct, or blurred; "Her remarks confused the debate"; "Their words obnubilate their intentions"
1. bewilder, baffle, amaze, confuse, astonish, startle, mix up, astound, perplex, surprise, mystify, flummox, boggle the mind, be all Greek to (informal), dumbfound, nonplus, flabbergast (informal) For many years medical scientists were confounded by these seemingly contradictory facts.
1. To cause to be unclear in mind or intent:
addle, befuddle, bewilder, confuse, discombobulate, dizzy, fuddle, jumble, mix up, muddle, mystify, perplex, puzzle.
Idiom: make one's head reel.
2. To cause (a person) to be self-consciously distressed:
abash, chagrin, confuse, discomfit, discomfort, disconcert, discountenance, embarrass, faze, mortify.
3. To make incapable of finding something to think, do, or say:
Idiom: put someone at a loss.
يُربِك، يُحيّر، يُذهِل
rugla; gera höggdofa
to puzzle and surprise greatly. verbyster, fnuik يُربِك، يُحيّر، يُذهِل обърквам confundir ohromit, zmást verblüffen forvirre μπερδεύω, εκπλήσσωdesconcertar hämmeldama گیج کردن؛ حیرت زده کردن hämmentää confondre לְבַלבֵּל हक्का-बक्का करना pomiješati, pobrkati, zamijeniti összezavar mengelabui rugla; gera höggdofa confondere 混乱させる 당황하게 하다 pritrenkti, priblokšti apmulsināt; izjaukt keliru verbazenforvirre, gjøre målløs konfundować ګډوډ كول: مغشوش كول: وار خطا كول desconcertar a ului, a lăsa perplex сбивать с толку ohromiť zbegati preneraziti förbrylla, göra häpen ทำให้รู้สึกสับสน şaşırtmak 使困惑 уражати, бентежити گڈ مڈ کرنا làm bối rối 使惊惶