Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Friendly or cooperative association, as between groups or organizations.
2. Ecology A subdivision of an association having one dominant species of plant.
3. A political arrangement in which various groups, such as ethnic or racial populations within a country or region, share power according to an agreed formula or mechanism.
con•so•ci•a•tion(kənˌsoʊ siˈeɪ ʃən, -ʃi-)
1. the act of uniting in association.
2. an association of churches or religious orders.
3. a climax community in which one species is dominant.
[1585–95; < Latin]
Consociationa confederation of churches or religious bodies; an alliance or confederation.
Examples: consociation of acts of providence, 1645; of churches, 1646; of many of the worst acts, 1649; of good spirits, 1656; of tribes for plunder or defence, 1804.