constitutionalize(redirected from constitutionalization)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. con·sti·tu·tion·al·ized, con·sti·tu·tion·al·iz·ing, con·sti·tu·tion·al·iz·es
1. To provide with or make subject to a constitution.
2. To incorporate into or sanction under a constitution: "The Fourteenth Amendment ... constitutionalized the vast shift of power from the states to the federal government, which the Civil War had accomplished" (Eric Foner).
3. To treat (an inappropriate matter) as being subject to constitutional law: "Today a like kind of wisdom might caution against constitutionalizing every grievance that might (or might not) appear tomorrow" (Potter Stewart).
con′sti·tu′tion·al·i·za′tion (-lĭ-zā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to provide with a constitution
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to incorporate (something) into a constitution
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
con•sti•tu•tion•al•ize(ˌkɒn stɪˈtu ʃə nlˌaɪz, -ˈtyu-)
v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to incorporate in a constitution; make constitutional.
2. to provide a constitution for.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||constitutionalize - provide with a constitution, as of a country; "The United States were constitutionalized in the late 18th century"|
|2.||constitutionalize - take a walk for one's health or to aid digestion, as after a meal; "A good way of exercising is to constitutionalize"|
|3.||constitutionalize - incorporate into a constitution, make constitutional; "A woman's right to an abortion was constitutionalized in the 1970's"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.