Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to constitutive: constitutive enzyme
1. Making a thing what it is; essential.
2. Having power to institute, establish, or enact.
3. Of or relating to the synthesis of a protein or an enzyme at a constant rate regardless of physiological demand or the concentration of a substrate.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) having power to enact, appoint, or establish
2. (Chemistry) chem (of a physical property) determined by the arrangement of atoms in a molecule rather than by their nature
3. (Biochemistry) biochem (of an enzyme) formed continuously, irrespective of the cell's needs
4. another word for constituent1
con•sti•tu•tive(ˈkɒn stɪˌtu tɪv, -ˌtyu-)
1. constituent; essential.
2. having power to establish or enact.
3. (of the properties of a substance) depending on the arrangement of atoms in a molecule rather than on their nature or number.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||constitutive - constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)|
essential - basic and fundamental; "the essential feature"