Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or condition of containing.
2. A policy of checking the expansion or influence of a hostile power or ideology, as by the creation of strategic alliances or support of client states in areas of conflict or unrest.
3. A structure or system designed to prevent the accidental release of radioactive materials from a reactor.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the act or condition of containing, esp of restraining the ideological or political power of a hostile country or the operations of a hostile military force
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (from 1947 to the mid-1970s) a principle of US foreign policy that sought to prevent the expansion of Communist power
3. (Nuclear Physics) physics Also called: confinement the process of preventing the plasma in a controlled thermonuclear reactor from reaching the walls of the reaction vessel, usually by confining it within a configuration of magnetic fields. See magnetic bottle
1. the act or condition of containing.
2. an act or policy of restricting the territorial growth or ideological influence of a hostile power, esp. a Communist power.
3. an enclosure surrounding a nuclear reactor designed to prevent the accidental release of radioactive material.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||containment - a policy of creating strategic alliances in order to check the expansion of a hostile power or ideology or to force it to negotiate peacefully; "containment of communist expansion was a central principle of United States' foreign policy from 1947 to the 1975"|
policy - a plan of action adopted by an individual or social group; "it was a policy of retribution"; "a politician keeps changing his policies"
|2.||containment - (physics) a system designed to prevent the accidental release of radioactive material from a reactor|
system - instrumentality that combines interrelated interacting artifacts designed to work as a coherent entity; "he bought a new stereo system"; "the system consists of a motor and a small computer"
|3.||containment - the act of containing; keeping something from spreading; "the containment of the AIDS epidemic"; "the containment of the rebellion"|
restraint - the act of controlling by restraining someone or something; "the unlawful restraint of trade"
ring containment - a strategy of defense in cases of bioterrorism; vaccination only of people exposed and others who are in contact with them; "ring containment is a proven method of halting a smallpox epidemic"