Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. con·tral·tos Music
1. The lowest female voice or voice part, intermediate in range between soprano and tenor.
2. A woman having a contralto voice.
[Italian : contra-, below (from Latin contrā-, contra-) + alto, alto; see alto.]
n, pl -tos or -ti (-tɪ)
1. (Music, other) the lowest female voice, usually having a range of approximately from F a fifth below middle C to D a ninth above it. In the context of a choir often shortened to: alto
2. (Music, other) a singer with such a voice
(Music, other) of or denoting a contralto: the contralto part.
[C18: from Italian; see contra-, alto]
n., pl. -tos.
1. the lowest female voice or voice part, intermediate between soprano and tenor.
2. a singer with a contralto voice.
The lowest range of any female voice.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||contralto - a woman singer having a contralto voice|
|2.||contralto - the lowest female singing voice |
singing voice - the musical quality of the voice while singing
|Adj.||1.||contralto - of or being the lowest female voice|