contributory(redirected from contributories)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or involving contribution.
2. Helping to bring about a result.
3. Subject to an impost or levy.
n. pl. con·trib·u·to·ries
One that contributes.
1. (often foll by to) sharing in or being partly responsible (for the cause of something): a contributory factor.
2. giving or donating to a common purpose or fund
3. (Insurance) of, relating to, or designating an insurance or pension scheme in which the premiums are paid partly by the employer and partly by the employees who benefit from it
4. liable or subject to a tax or levy
n, pl -ries
5. a person or thing that contributes
6. (Law) company law a member or former member of a company liable to contribute to the assets on the winding-up of the company
con•trib•u•to•ry(kənˈtrɪb yəˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i)
1. pertaining to or of the nature of contribution; contributing.
2. furnishing something toward a result: a contributory factor.
3. of or pertaining to an insurance or pension plan whose premiums are paid by contributions from both employee and employer.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||contributory - tending to bring about; being partly responsible for; "working conditions are not conducive to productivity"; "the seaport was a contributing factor in the growth of the city"; "a contributory factor"|
causative - producing an effect; "poverty as a causative factor in crime"
it’s certainly a contributory factor/cause → es ist sicherlich ein Faktor, der dazu beiträgt or der mit eine Rolle spielt; to be a contributory cause of a disease → ein Faktor sein, der zu einer Krankheit beiträgt; to be contributory to something → zu etw beitragen
pension scheme → beitragspflichtig