Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to contributory: contributory negligence
1. Of, relating to, or involving contribution.
2. Helping to bring about a result.
3. Subject to an impost or levy.
n. pl. con·trib·u·to·ries
One that contributes.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (often foll by to) sharing in or being partly responsible (for the cause of something): a contributory factor.
2. giving or donating to a common purpose or fund
3. (Insurance) of, relating to, or designating an insurance or pension scheme in which the premiums are paid partly by the employer and partly by the employees who benefit from it
4. liable or subject to a tax or levy
n, pl -ries
5. a person or thing that contributes
6. (Law) company law a member or former member of a company liable to contribute to the assets on the winding-up of the company
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
con•trib•u•to•ry(kənˈtrɪb yəˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i)
1. pertaining to or of the nature of contribution; contributing.
2. furnishing something toward a result: a contributory factor.
3. of or pertaining to an insurance or pension plan whose premiums are paid by contributions from both employee and employer.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Medieval Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||contributory - tending to bring about; being partly responsible for; "working conditions are not conducive to productivity"; "the seaport was a contributing factor in the growth of the city"; "a contributory factor"|
causative - producing an effect; "poverty as a causative factor in crime"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. Giving or able to give help or support:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
contributory[kənˈtrɪbjʊtərɪ] ADJ [cause, factor] → que contribuye, contribuyente
contributory pension scheme → plan m cotizable de jubilación
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
contributory[kənˈtrɪbjʊtəri] adj [cause, factor] → annexe
it was a contributory factor in ... → ce facteur a contribué à ...con trick n → arnaque f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
it’s certainly a contributory factor/cause → es ist sicherlich ein Faktor, der dazu beiträgt or der mit eine Rolle spielt; to be a contributory cause of a disease → ein Faktor sein, der zu einer Krankheit beiträgt; to be contributory to something → zu etw beitragen
pension scheme → beitragspflichtig
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
contributory[kənˈtrɪbjʊt/ərɪ] adj (cause) → che contribuisce
it was a contributory factor in ... → quello ha contribuito a...
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995