Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. A riddle in which a fanciful question is answered by a pun.
2. A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma: "the conundrum ... of achieving full employment without inflation" (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
1. a riddle, esp one whose answer makes a play on words
2. a puzzling question or problem
[C16: of unknown origin]
1. a riddle whose answer involves a pun.
2. anything that puzzles.
[1590–1600; pseudo-Latin word of obscure orig.]
a riddle the answer to which requires a pun or other word play.See also: Games
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||conundrum - a difficult problem |
problem - a question raised for consideration or solution; "our homework consisted of ten problems to solve"