Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An unusual object that arouses comment or interest.
2. A genre painting, popular especially in the 1700s, depicting a group of people engaged in conversation or an activity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. something, esp an unusual object, that provokes conversation
2. (Art Terms) (esp in 18th-century Britain) a group portrait in a landscape or domestic setting
3. (Theatre) a play emphasizing dialogue
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any object that arouses comment because of some striking or unusual quality.
2. a group portrait of people in their customary setting.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||conversation piece - something interesting that stimulates conversation|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.