Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to converter: Currency converter
con·vert·eralso con·ver·tor (kən-vûr′tər)
1. One that converts, especially:
a. A furnace in which pig iron is converted into steel by the Bessemer process.
b. A machine that converts electric current from one kind to another.
c. An electronic device that converts one frequency of a radio signal to another.
d. A device that converts data from one code to another.
2. One that is employed in converting raw products into finished products.
1. a person or thing that converts
2. (General Physics) physics
a. a device for converting alternating current to direct current or vice versa
b. a device for converting a signal from one frequency to another or from analogue to digital forms
3. (Metallurgy) a vessel in which molten metal is refined, using a blast of air or oxygen. See also Bessemer converter, L-D converter
4. (Nuclear Physics) short for converter reactor
5. (Computer Science) computing a device for converting one form of coded information to another, such as an analogue-to-digital converter
1. one that converts.
2. a device that converts alternating current to direct current or vice versa.
4. an auxiliary device that permits a radio or television receiver to pick up frequencies or channels for which it was not orig. designed.
5. a chamber or vessel through which an oxidizing blast of air is forced, as in making steel by the Bessemer process.
6. a nuclear reactor for converting fertile material into fissile fuel.
1. A machine that changes alternating current to direct current or direct current to alternating current.
2. An electronic device that changes the frequency of a radio or other electromagnetic signal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||converter - a device for changing one substance or form or state into another|
Bessemer converter - a refractory-lined furnace used to convert pig iron into steel by the Bessemer process
catalytic converter - a converter that uses a platinum-iridium catalyst to oxidize pollutants and carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water; an antipollution device on an automotive exhaust system
data converter - converter for changing information from one code to another
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
electrical converter - converter that converts alternating current into direct current or vice versa
electronic converter - (telecommunication) converter for converting a signal from one frequency to another
torque converter - converter for transmitting and amplifying torque (especially by hydraulic means)