Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Capable of being converted: a convertible sofa bed.
2. Having a top that can be folded back or removed: a convertible automobile.
3. Lawfully exchangeable for gold or another currency: dollars convertible into yen.
1. Something that can be converted.
2. A convertible automobile.
3. A convertible security.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.