Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A chemical compound containing a complex ion. Also called coordination complex.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Chemistry) another name for complex8
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
com•plex(adj., v. kəmˈplɛks, ˈkɒm plɛks; n. ˈkɒm plɛks)
1. composed of many interconnected parts; compound; composite: a complex system.
2. characterized by a complicated or involved arrangement of parts, units, etc.: complex machinery.
3. so complicated or intricate as to be hard to understand or deal with: a complex problem.
4. (of a word) consisting of two or more parts, at least one of which is a bound form, as childish, which consists of the word child and the bound form -ish.
5. pertaining to or using complex numbers: complex methods; complex vector space.n.
6. an often intricate or complicated association or assemblage of related things, parts, units, etc., forming a whole: an apartment complex.
7. a cluster of interrelated, emotion-charged ideas, desires, and impulses that may be wholly or partly suppressed but influence attitudes, associations, and behavior.
8. an obsessive notion or concern.
9. Also called coordination compound. a chemical compound in which independently existing molecules or ions of a nonmetal form coordinate bonds with a metal atom or ion.Compare ligand (def. 2).
10. an entity composed of molecules in which the constituents maintain much of their chemical identity: receptor-hormone complex.v.t.
11. Chem. to form a complex with.v.i.
12. Chem. to form a complex.
[1645–55; (adj.) < Latin complexus, past participle of complectī, complectere to embrace, encompass, include]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coordination compound - a compound described in terms of the central atom to which other atoms are bound or coordinated|
hydrochloride - a complex consisting of an organic base in association with hydrogen chloride
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.