Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Mathematics Any of a set of two or more numbers used to determine the position of a point, line, curve, or plane in a space of a given dimension with respect to a system of lines or other fixed references.
2. coordinates Informal Directions: Give me some coordinates so I can find my way.
3. coordinates A set of articles, as of clothing or luggage, designed to match or complement one other, as in style or color.
a. Of equal importance, rank, or degree: jobs with coordinate responsibilities.
b. Grammar Having equal syntactic status; not subordinate: coordinate phrases.
2. Mathematics Of or based on a system of coordinates.
3. Of or relating to a university in which men and women are taught by the same faculty but in single-sex classes or on single-sex campuses.
v. (-āt′) co·or·di·nat·ed, co·or·di·nat·ing, co·or·di·nates
1. To cause to work or function in a common action or effort: coordinating the moving parts of a machine.
2. To make harmonious; harmonize: coordinate the colors of a design.
3. Grammar To link (syntactic units) at an equal level.
1. To work or function together harmoniously: a nursing staff that coordinates smoothly.
2. To form a harmonious combination; match: shoes that coordinate with the rest of the outfit.
co·or′di·nate·ly (-ĭt-lē) adv.
co·or′di·nate·ness (-ĭt-nĭs) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||coordinative - serving to connect two grammatical constituents of identical construction; "`and' in `John and Mary' or in `John walked and Mary rode' is a coordinating conjunction; and so is `or' in `will you go or stay?'"|
grammar - the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology (and sometimes also deals with semantics)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.