Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A venomous snake (Agkistrodon contortrix) of the eastern and central United States and northern Mexico, having a tan body with reddish-brown crossbands.
2. Copperhead A Northerner who sympathized with the South during the Civil War.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) a venomous reddish-brown snake, Agkistrodon contortrix, of the eastern US: family Crotalidae (pit vipers)
2. (Animals) a venomous reddish-brown Australian elapid snake, Denisonia superba
3. (Historical Terms) informal US a Yankee supporter of the South during the Civil War
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a North American pit viper, Agkistrodon contortrix, having a copper-colored head.
2. (cap.) a Northerner who supported the South during the Civil War.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||copperhead - common coppery brown pit viper of upland eastern United States|
pit viper - New World vipers with hollow fangs and a heat-sensitive pit on each side of the head
|2.||copperhead - venomous but sluggish reddish-brown snake of Australia|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.