coronal(redirected from coronale)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
cor·o·nal(kôr′ə-nəl, kŏr′-, kə-rō′nəl)
1. A garland, wreath, or circlet for the head.
2. Linguistics A coronal consonant.
1. Of or relating to a corona, especially of the head.
2. Of, relating to, or having the direction of the coronal suture or of the plane dividing the body into front and back portions.
3. Linguistics Articulated by raising the blade of the tongue, as (t) in tip and (n) in night.
[Middle English, from Latin corōnālis, of a crown, from corōna, crown; see crown.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. poetic a circlet for the head; crown
2. a wreath or garland
3. (Anatomy) anatomy short for coronal suture
4. of or relating to a corona or coronal
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics a less common word for retroflex
[C16: from Late Latin corōnālis belonging to a crown]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cor•o•nal(n. ˈkɔr ə nl, ˈkɒr-; adj. usu. kəˈroʊn l)
1. a crown; coronet.
2. a garland.adj.
3. of or pertaining to a coronal or corona.
4. (of a speech sound) articulated with the blade of the tongue raised.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Relating to the crown of the head.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coronal - flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes|
crown - a wreath or garland worn on the head to signify victory
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.