calcification(redirected from coronary artery calcification)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to coronary artery calcification: coronary artery disease
a. Impregnation with calcium or calcium salts, as with calcium carbonate.
b. Hardening, as of tissue, by such impregnation.
2. A calcified substance or part.
3. An inflexible, unchanging state: calcification of negotiations.
1. (Biochemistry) the process of calcifying or becoming calcified
2. (Geological Science) the process of calcifying or becoming calcified
3. (Physiology) pathol a tissue hardened by deposition of lime salts
4. (Geological Science) any calcified object or formation
cal•ci•fi•ca•tion(ˌkæl sə fɪˈkeɪ ʃən)
1. a changing into lime.
2. the deposition of lime or insoluble salts of calcium and magnesium, as in a tissue.
3. Anat., Geol. a calcified formation.
4. a process in which surface soil is supplied with calcium in such a way that the soil colloids are always close to saturation.
5. a hardening or solidifying.
1. Medicine The accumulation of calcium or calcium salts in a body tissue. Calcification normally occurs in the formation of bone.
a. The replacement of organic material, especially original hard material such as bone, with calcium carbonate during the process of fossilization.
b. The accumulation of calcium in certain soils, especially soils of cool temperate regions where leaching takes place very slowly.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||calcification - a process that impregnates something with calcium (or calcium salts)|
chemical action, chemical change, chemical process - (chemistry) any process determined by the atomic and molecular composition and structure of the substances involved
ossification - the calcification of soft tissue into a bonelike material
|2.||calcification - tissue hardened by deposition of lime salts|
hardening - abnormal hardening or thickening of tissue
|3.||calcification - an inflexible and unchanging state; "the calcification of negotiations"|
calcification[ˌkælsɪfɪˈkeɪʃən] N → calcificación f
calcification[ˌkælsɪfɪˈkeɪʃ/ən] n → calcificazione f
n. calcificación, endurecimiento de tejidos orgánicos por depósitos de sales de calcio.