Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to corps: Peace Corps
n. pl. corps (kôrz)
a. A separate branch or department of the armed forces having a specialized function.
b. A tactical unit of ground combat forces between a division and an army commanded by a lieutenant general and composed of two or more divisions and auxiliary service troops.
2. A body of persons acting together or associated under common direction: the press corps.
n, pl corps (kɔːz)
1. (Military) a military formation that comprises two or more divisions and additional support arms
2. (Military) a military body with a specific function: intelligence corps; medical corps.
3. a body of people associated together: the diplomatic corps.
[C18: from French, from Latin corpus body]
n., pl. corps (kôrz, kōrz).
a. an organization of officers and enlisted personnel or of officers alone: the U.S. Marine Corps.
b. a combat unit comprising two or more divisions.
2. a group of persons associated or acting together.
[1225–75; Middle English corps, cors < Middle French < Latin corpus body; compare corpse]
See: army corps.
Corpsa body of men assigned to a special service, usually military; a number of students; members of an organization who wear uniforms, as St. John Ambulance Corps.
Examples: corps of actors [Dramatic Corps], 1831; of anatomists—Mensa; Corps de Ballet, 1845; of counsellors [legal], 1803; of giraffes; of instructors, 1859; ragged corps of labourers, 1832; of writers, 1882.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||corps - an army unit usually consisting of two or more divisions and their support|
army unit - a military unit that is part of an army
army, ground forces, regular army - a permanent organization of the military land forces of a nation or state
Women's Army Corps, WAC - an army corps that was organized in World War II but is no longer a separate branch of the United States Army
Reserve Officers Training Corps, ROTC - a training program to prepare college students to be commissioned officers
division - an army unit large enough to sustain combat; "two infantry divisions were held in reserve"
|2.||corps - a body of people associated together; "diplomatic corps"|
body - a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity; "the whole body filed out of the auditorium"; "the student body"; "administrative body"
السِّلك الدِبلوماسيقِطْعَـه عَسْكَـريّـه
corps[ˈkɔːr] [corps] [ˈkɔːr ˈkɔːrz] (pl) n (in army) → corps m
n pl <-> (Mil) → Korps nt
corps(koː) – plural corps (koːz) – noun
1. a division of an army. The Royal Armoured Corps. korps قِطْعَـه عَسْكَـريّـه корпус divisão sbor (armádní) das Korps korps σώμα στρατού cuerpo korpus رسته joukot corpsחיל सेना की पलटन trupe, vojska alakulat kesatuan deild corpo 軍団 군단 korpusas korpuss kor korpsavdelingkorpus (لښ) يوه قطعه سنبال شوې عسكر مړى: جسد، نعش، لاښ، مړداړه divisão corp корпус zbor korpus korpus kår กองกำลังทหาร özel birlik; kolordu (軍隊編制)團 корпус فوج كا شعبہ quân đoàn 军团
2. a group or company. the diplomatic corps. korps السِّلك الدِبلوماسي дипл. корпус corpo sbor das Korps korps σώμα, εταιρείαcuerpo korpus گروه -kunta corpsסגל किसी भी कार्यक्रम में भाग लेने वाला समूह kor (diplomatski) testület korps hópur, deild corpo 集団 단체 korpusas korpuss diplomstik kor corpskorpskorpus دله corpo corp корпус zbor zbor kor kår กลุ่มคนที่ทำงานร่วมกัน topluluk, heyet 群，團 корпус كوئى شعبہ يا كمپنی nhóm người có liên quan đến một hoạt động riêng biệt 队，团