Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A cosmopolitan person: a true cosmopolite—a Renaissance man.
2. Ecology An organism found in most parts of the world.
[Greek kosmopolītēs : kosmos, world + polītēs, citizen (from polis, city; see pelə- in Indo-European roots).]
cos·mop′o·lit′ism (-lī-tĭz′əm, -lĭ-tĭz′-) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a less common word for cosmopolitan1
2. (Biology) an animal or plant that occurs in most parts of the world
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person who is sophisticated in outlook, lifestyle, etc.
2. an animal or plant of worldwide distribution.
[1590–1600; < Greek kosmopolitēs citizen of the world =kosmo- cosmo- + politēs citizen]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cosmopolite - a sophisticated person who has travelled in many countries|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.