costumed(redirected from costumedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A style of dress, including garments, accessories, and hairstyle, especially as characteristic of a particular country, period, or people.
2. An outfit or a disguise worn on Mardi Gras, Halloween, or similar occasions.
3. A set of clothes appropriate for a particular occasion or season.
tr.v. (kŏ-sto͞om′, -styo͞om′, kŏs′to͞om′, -tyo͞om′) cos·tumed, cos·tum·ing, cos·tumes
1. To put a costume on; dress.
2. To design or furnish costumes for.
[French, from Italian, style, dress, from Old Italian, custom, ultimately (possibly via Vulgar Latin *cōnstūmen, *cōnstūmin-), from alteration of Latin cōnsuētūdō, cōnsuētūdin-; see custom.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||costumed - dressed in clothing characteristic of a period, country, or class|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.