Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to counseling: counseling skills
1. The act of exchanging opinions and ideas; consultation: joined in counsel with colleagues before deciding the issue.
2. Advice or guidance, especially as solicited from a knowledgeable person. See Synonyms at advice.
3. Private, guarded thoughts or opinions: keep one's own counsel.
4. A lawyer or group of lawyers giving legal advice and especially conducting a case in court.
v. coun·seled, coun·sel·ing, coun·sels or coun·selled or coun·sel·ling
1. To give counsel to; advise: counseled us to be prudent.
2. To recommend: counseled care in the forthcoming negotiations.
To give or take advice. See Usage Note at council.
[Middle English counseil, from Old French conseil, from Latin cōnsilium; akin to cōnsulere, to take counsel, consult.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||counseling - something that provides direction or advice as to a decision or course of action|
road map, guideline - a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action; "the president said he had a road map for normalizing relations with Vietnam"
career counseling - counseling on career opportunities
cynosure - something that provides guidance (as Polaris guides mariners); "let faith be your cynosure to walk by"
genetic counseling - guidance for prospective parents on the likelihood of genetic disorders in their future children
marriage counseling - counseling on marital problems and disagreements
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
counselingn orientación f, consejería, consejo, asesoría, asesoramiento; family — orientación or consejería or asesoría familiar; genetic — asesoramiento or consejo genético; marriage — consejería or orientación or asesoría matrimonial
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.