countermine(redirected from countermines)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. coun·ter·mined, coun·ter·min·ing, coun·ter·mines
1. To frustrate or defeat by secret and opposite measures.
2. To make or use a countermine against.
To make or lay down countermines.
1. A tunnel dug to intercept and destroy an enemy's mine.
2. A plot to frustrate or defeat an attack.
1. (Military) military a tunnel dug to defeat similar activities by an enemy
2. a plot to frustrate another plot
3. to frustrate by countermeasures
4. (Military) military to take measures to defeat the underground operations of (an enemy)
5. (Military) military to destroy enemy mines in (an area) with mines of one's own
n., v. -mined, -min•ing. n.
1. a mine intended to intercept an enemy mine.
2. a counterplot.v.t.
3. to intercept by a countermine.v.i.
4. to counterplot.
To explode the main charge in a mine by the shock of a nearby explosion of another mine or independent explosive charge. The explosion of the main charge may be caused either by sympathetic detonation or through the explosive train and/or firing mechanism of the mine.
Past participle: countermined
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||countermine - (military) a tunnel dug to defeat similar activities by the enemy|
countermeasure - an action taken to offset another action
|Verb||1.||countermine - destroy property or hinder normal operations; "The Resistance sabotaged railroad operations during the war"|
derail - cause to run off the tracks; "they had planned to derail the trains that carried atomic waste"
disobey - refuse to go along with; refuse to follow; be disobedient; "He disobeyed his supervisor and was fired"
|2.||countermine - destroy enemy mines with one's own mines; "We countermined the banks of the river"|
mine - lay mines; "The Vietnamese mined Cambodia"