counterpoised(redirected from counterpoisedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A counterbalancing weight.
2. A force or influence that balances or equally counteracts another.
3. The state of being in equilibrium.
tr.v. coun·ter·poised, coun·ter·pois·ing, coun·ter·pois·es
1. To oppose with an equal weight; counterbalance.
2. To act against with an equal force or power; offset.
[Alteration (influenced by poise) of Middle English countrepeis, from Old French contrepeis : contre-, counter- + peis, weight; see avoirdupois.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||counterpoised - brought into equipoise by means of a weight or force that offsets another|
balanced - being in a state of proper equilibrium; "the carefully balanced seesaw"; "a properly balanced symphony orchestra"; "a balanced assessment of intellectual and cultural history"; "a balanced blend of whiskeys"; "the educated man shows a balanced development of all his powers"