Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to coupon: coupon bond
1. A code or detachable part of a ticket, card, or advertisement that entitles the holder to a certain benefit, such as a cash refund or a gift.
a. A periodic interest payment due to the holder of a bond.
b. The interest rate of a bond that pays a coupon.
c. One of a set of small certificates that may be detached from a bond certificate and redeemed for interest payments.
[French, piece cut off, remnant, coupon (for interest), from Old French colpon, piece cut off, from colper, to cut, from colp, blow; see coup.]
Word History: A Roman might have had difficulty predicting what would become of the Latin word colaphus, which meant "a blow with the fist." As the variety of Latin spoken in the Roman province of Gaul developed into Old French, the Late Latin word colpus, derived from colaphus, became colp. Old French colp subsequently developed into modern French coup, with the same sense. Coup has had a rich development in French, gaining numerous senses and forming part of numerous phrases, such as coup d'état. Old French colp also gave rise to the verb colper (or in its modern French spelling, couper), "to divide with a blow or stroke, cut." Colper yielded the word colpon, "a portion that is cut off." Old French colpon eventually developed into modern French coupon and came to refer to a certificate that was detachable from a principal certificate. The detachable certificate could be exchanged for interest or dividend payments by the holder of the principal certificate. Coupon is first recorded in English in 1822 with this sense and then came to apply to forms or tickets, detachable or otherwise, that could be exchanged for various benefits or used to request information.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. a detachable part of a ticket or advertisement entitling the holder to a discount, free gift, etc
b. a detachable slip usable as a commercial order form
c. a voucher given away with certain goods, a certain number of which are exchangeable for goods offered by the manufacturers
2. (Banking & Finance) one of a number of detachable certificates attached to a bond, esp a bearer bond, the surrender of which entitles the bearer to receive interest payments
3. (Banking & Finance) one of several detachable cards used for making hire-purchase payments
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a ticket issued to facilitate rationing
5. Brit a detachable entry form for any of certain competitions, esp football pools
[C19: from French, from Old French colpon piece cut off, from colper to cut, variant of couper; see cope1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cou•pon(ˈku pɒn, ˈkyu-)
1. a detachable portion of a certificate, ticket, label, advertisement, or the like, entitling the holder to something, as a gift or discount, or for use as an order blank, a contest entry form, etc.
2. a separate certificate, ticket, etc., for the same purpose.
3. a detachable certificate calling for a periodic payment of interest on a bearer bond.
[1815–25; < French; Old French colpon piece cut off, derivative of colp(er) to cut]
pron: The American pronunciation variant (kyo̅o̅′pon), with a y-sound not justified by the spelling, is well-established and perfectly standard. It probably developed by analogy with words like cupid and cute, where the (y) is mandatory.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coupon - a negotiable certificate that can be detached and redeemed as needed|
book token - a gift voucher that can be exchanged for books costing up to an amount given on the voucher
luncheon voucher, meal ticket - coupon redeemable at a restaurant and entitling the holder to a meal
twofer - a coupon that allows the holder to purchase two items (as two tickets to a play) for the price of one
|2.||coupon - a test sample of some substance|
sample - a small part of something intended as representative of the whole
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun slip, ticket, certificate, token, voucher, card, detachable portion Send the coupon with a cheque for £18.50.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
إستِمارة مُراهَنـَهقَسيمَـه، حِصَّـه
kuponspor toto kâgıdı
coupon[ˈkuːpɒn] N (= voucher in newspaper, advertisement) → cupón m; (for price reduction or gifts) → vale m; (= football pools coupon) → boleto m (de quiniela)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= voucher) → bon m
(FINANCE) → coupon m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. a piece of paper etc giving one the right to something, eg a gift or discount price. This coupon gives 50 cents off your next purchase. koepon قَسيمَـه، حِصَّـه (كوبون) купон cupom poukázka, kupon der Gutschein kupon; værdikupon; rabatkupon κουπόνιcupón lõigend کوپن kuponki couponקופון रसीद, परचा kupon kupon kupon afsláttarmiði cedola, buono 優待券 쿠폰 kuponas, talonas kupons; talons kupon couponrabattkupongtalon کوپون cupão cupon купон kupón odrezek kupon kupong บัตรแลกสินค้า kupon 優待券 купон; талон کوپن، پرچی phiếu 商品上的赠券，商家的优待券
2. a betting form for the football pools. kaartjie إستِمارة مُراهَنـَه фиш volante sázenka der Schein tipskupon δελτίο στοιχήματος boleto ennustuskupong برگه شرط بندی vedonlyöntilomake fiche de pari תלוש पर्णिका kladionički tiket totószelvény kupon getraunamiði schedina サッカーくじの申込票 경품교환권 lažybų talonas derību talons (futbolā) kupon bola sepak totoformulier tippekupongkupon کوپون impressoкарточка tiket stavni listek tiket tipskupong แบบฟอร์มพนันฟุตบอล spor toto kâgıdı 足球賽的彩票 купон فارم mẫu phiếu 足球赛赌场的赌票
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.