Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. The business of designing, making, and selling highly fashionable, usually custom-made clothing.
2. Dressmakers and fashion designers considered as a group.
3. The high-fashion clothing created by designers.
couture(kuːˈtʊə; French kutyr)
(Clothing & Fashion)
a. high-fashion designing and dressmaking
b. (as modifier): couture clothes.
[from French: sewing, dressmaking, from Old French cousture seam, from Latin consuere to stitch together, from suere to sew]
cou•ture(kuˈtʊər; Fr. kuˈtür)
1. the occupation or business of a couturier.
2. fashion designers or couturiers collectively.
3. the apparel created by such designers.adj.
4. created by a fashion designer or pertaining to or suggesting such creation: couture clothes; the couture look.
the art and practice of dressmaking and designing. — couturier, couturière, n.See also: Clothing
The fashionable and expensive part of the dressmaking and clothes-designing business.