Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A wolflike carnivorous mammal (Canis latrans) of North and Central America, having grayish-brown or yellowish fur, large erect ears, and a drooping bushy tail. Also called prairie wolf.
2. A firefighter who is sent to battle remote, usually very severe forest fires, often for days at a time.
3. Slang A person who smuggles undocumented immigrants into the United States, especially across the Mexican border.
[American Spanish, from Nahuatl cóyotl : coyō-, coyote (from Proto-Uto-Aztecan *kwa, coyote; compare O'odham ban and Serrano (Uto-Aztecan language of the San Bernardino Mountains) wahei, coyote, and Hopi kwew, wolf) + -tl, unpossessed singular noun suffix.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
coyote(ˈkɔɪəʊt; kɔɪˈəʊt; kɔɪˈəʊtɪ)
n, pl -otes or -ote
1. (Animals) Also called: prairie wolf a predatory canine mammal, Canis latrans, related to but smaller than the wolf, roaming the deserts and prairies of North America
2. (Non-European Myth & Legend) (in Native American legends of the West) a trickster and culture hero represented as a man or as an animal
[C19: from Mexican Spanish, from Nahuatl coyotl]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
coy•o•te(kaɪˈoʊ ti, ˈkaɪ oʊt)
n., pl. -tes, (esp. collectively) -te.
1. a wolflike, medium-sized North American canid, Canis latrans.
2. Slang. a person who smuggles Latin Americans into the U.S. for a fee.
[1825–35; earlier cuiota, cayota < Mexican Spanish coyote < Nahuatl coyōtl]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coyote - small wolf native to western North America|
wolf - any of various predatory carnivorous canine mammals of North America and Eurasia that usually hunt in packs
coydog - offspring of a coyote and a dog
|2.||coyote - someone who smuggles illegal immigrants into the United States (usually across the Mexican border)|
|3.||coyote - a forest fire fighter who is sent to battle remote and severe forest fires (often for days at a time)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
coyote[kɔɪˈəʊtɪ] N → coyote m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
coyote[kaɪˈəʊti kɔɪˈəʊti] n → coyote m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Kojote m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
coyote[kɔɪˈəʊtɪ] n → coyote m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995