Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to crabbed: melodist
1. Irritable and perverse in disposition; ill-tempered.
2. Difficult to understand; complicated.
3. Difficult to read; cramped: crabbed handwriting.
[Middle English, from crabbe, crab (influenced by crab); see crab1.]
1. surly; irritable; perverse
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (esp of handwriting) cramped and hard to decipher
[C13: probably from crab1 (from its wayward gait), influenced by crab(apple) (from its tartness)]
1. difficult to read, as handwriting.
2. hard to understand; intricate and obscure.
3. ill-tempered; surly.
See also related terms for perverse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||crabbed - annoyed and irritable |
ill-natured - having an irritable and unpleasant disposition