Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Hydra and Corvus.
[Latin crātēr, mixing bowl, crater; see crater.]
1. A bowl-shaped depression created by the activity of a volcano or geyser.
a. A bowl-shaped depression in a surface made by an explosion or the impact of a body, such as a meteoroid.
b. A pit; a hollow.
3. Variant of krater.
v. cra·tered, cra·ter·ing, cra·ters
To make craters in: "The missiles did not ... crater the airfield" (Tom Clancy).
1. To form a crater or craters.
a. To fall and crash violently from a great height.
b. To fail utterly: "talked about how tough times were in Texas since the oil business cratered" (Stephen Coonts).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) the bowl-shaped opening at the top or side of a volcano or top of a geyser through which lava and gases are emitted
2. (Physical Geography) a similarly shaped depression formed by the impact of a meteorite or exploding bomb
3. (Astronomy) any of the circular or polygonal walled formations covering the surface of the moon and some other planets, formed probably either by volcanic action or by the impact of meteorites. They can have a diameter of up to 240 kilometres (150 miles) and a depth of 8900 metres (29 000 feet)
4. a pit in an otherwise smooth surface
5. (Archaeology) a large open bowl with two handles, used for mixing wines, esp in ancient Greece
6. (Geological Science) to make or form craters in (a surface, such as the ground)
7. slang to fail; collapse; crash
[C17: from Latin: mixing bowl, crater, from Greek kratēr, from kerannunai to mix]
n, Latin genitive Crateris (ˈkreɪtərɪs)
(Astronomy) a small faint constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Virgo and Hydra
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -tered, -ter•ing. n.
1. the cup-shaped depression or cavity on the surface of the earth or other heavenly body marking the orifice of a volcano.
2. (on the surface of the earth, moon, etc.) a bowl-shaped depression with a raised rim, formed by the impact of a meteoroid.
3. the hole in the ground where a bomb, shell, or military mine has exploded.
5. to make a crater or craters in.v.i.
6. to form a crater or craters.
[1605–15; < Latin < Greek krātḗr mixing bowl, literally, mixer =krā-, base of kerannýnai to mix + -tēr agentive suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A bowl-shaped depression at the top of a volcano or at the mouth of a geyser. Volcanic craters can form because of magma explosions, in which a large amount of lava is thrown out from a volcano, leaving a hole, or because the roof of rock over an underground magma pool collapses after the magma has flowed away.
2. A shallow, bowl-shaped hole in a surface, formed by an explosion or by the impact of a body, such as a meteorite.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The pit, depression, or cavity formed in the surface of the Earth by an explosion. It may range from saucer shaped to conical, depending largely on the depth of burst. In the case of a deep underground burst, no rupture of the surface may occur. The resulting cavity is termed a "camouflet."
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Past participle: cratered
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crater - a bowl-shaped geological formation at the top of a volcano|
caldera - a large crater caused by the violent explosion of a volcano that collapses into a depression
maar - a flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion; often filled with water
volcano - a mountain formed by volcanic material
|2.||Crater - a faint constellation in the southern hemisphere near Hydra and Corvus|
|3.||crater - a bowl-shaped depression formed by the impact of a meteorite or bomb|
collector - a crater that has collected cosmic material hitting the earth
lunar crater - a crater on the Earth's Moon
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun hollow, hole, depression, dip, cavity, shell hole A huge crater marks the spot where the explosion happened.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
حُفْره، فَجْوَهفُوَّهـة بُرْكـان
bomba çukurukrateryanardağ ağzı
crater[ˈkreɪtəʳ] N → cráter m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
crater[ˈkreɪtər] n (= large hole) → cratère m bomb crater
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Krater m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
crater[ˈkreɪtəʳ] n → cratere m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. the bowl-shaped mouth of a volcano. krater فُوَّهـة بُرْكـان кратер cratera kráter der Krater krater κρατήρας ηφαιστείου cráter kraater دهانۀ آتشفشان kraatteri cratère לוֹע הָר גָעַש ज्वालामुखी का मुख krater kráter kawah, kepundan (eld)gígur cratere 噴火口 분화구 krateris krāteris kawah kraterkraterkrater د اتشفشان خوله cratera crater кратер kráter krater krater krater ปล่องภูเขาไฟ yanardağ ağzı, krater 火山口 кратер آتش فشاں پہاڑ کا دهانہ miệng núi lửa 火山口
2. a hollow made in the ground by a bomb etc. krater حُفْره، فَجْوَه яма cratera kráter der Bombentrichter bombekrater κρατήραςabertura kraater چاله؛ حفره kuoppa cratèreמכתש बम इत्यादि से जमीन में बना गड्ढा krater bombatölcsér lubang sprengjugígur cratere 爆弾穴 폭탄 구멍 duobė (šāviņa izrauta) bedre kawah krater bombe-/sprengkrater krater حفره cratera crater воронка kráter lijak krater krater หลุมที่เกิดจากการระเบิด bomba çukuru 彈坑 вирва بم وغيره كى وجہ سے زمين ميں پڑا شگاف hố bom 弹坑
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
n. cráter. V.: niche
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012