Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to crawling: Web crawling
intr.v. crawled, crawl·ing, crawls
1. To move slowly on the hands and knees or by dragging the body along the ground; creep: The baby crawled across the floor.
2. To advance slowly, feebly, laboriously, or with frequent stops: We crawled along in traffic until we reached the highway.
3. To proceed or act servilely: "She was going to come crawling back to me, eloquently detailing exactly how sorry she was" (Emily Griffin).
4. To be or feel as if swarming or covered with moving things: The accident scene was crawling with police officers. My flesh crawled in horror.
5. To swim the crawl.
1. The action of moving slowly on the hands or knees or dragging the body along the ground.
2. An extremely slow pace: Traffic was moving at a crawl.
3. Sports A rapid swimming stroke consisting of alternating overarm strokes and a flutter kick.
4. A set of letters or figures that move across, up, or down a movie or television screen, usually giving information, such as film credits or weather alerts. Also called crawler.
5. A social activity that consists of going to a series of related establishments one after the other: a bar crawl; a museum crawl.
A pen in shallow water, as for confining fish or turtles.
[Afrikaans kraal, enclosure for animals; see kraal.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Building) a defect in freshly applied paint or varnish characterized by bare patches and ridging
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crawling - a slow mode of locomotion on hands and knees or dragging the body; "a crawl was all that the injured man could manage"; "the traffic moved at a creep"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
to be crawling with (pejorative) → grouiller de
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007