Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
n. pl. cri·ol·los (-lōz, -yōs)
A Spanish American of European, usually Spanish ancestry.
1. Of or relating to a criollo or criollos.
2. Indigenous to or characteristic of a Spanish-American country: criollo cattle; a criollo dish.
[Spanish; see Creole.]
criollo(kriːˈəʊləʊ; Spanish ˈkrjoʎo)
n, pl -los (-ləʊz; Spanish -ʎos)
1. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Latin America of European descent, esp of Spanish descent
a. any of various South American breeds of domestic animal
b. (as modifier): a criollo pony.
3. (Cookery) a high-quality variety of cocoa
4. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of a criollo or criollos
5. (Breeds) of, relating to, or characteristic of a criollo or criollos
[Spanish: native; see creole]
cri•ol•lo(kriˈoʊ loʊ, -ˈoʊ yoʊ, -ˈoʊl yoʊ)
n., pl. -ol•los,
1. a person born in Spanish America but of European, usu. Spanish, ancestry.
2. a domestic animal of any of several strains or breeds developed in Latin America.adj.
3. native; indigenous.
[1905–10; < Sp; see Creole]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||criollo - a Spanish American of pure European stock (usually Spanish); "Mexico is a country of mestizos, criollos, and indigenes"|
Espana, Kingdom of Spain, Spain - a parliamentary monarchy in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula; a former colonial power
|2.||criollo - cocoa of superior quality|
cocoa - powder of ground roasted cacao beans with most of the fat removed