Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cropper: come a cropper
A person who works land in return for a share of the yield; a sharecropper.
1. A heavy fall; a tumble.
2. A disastrous failure; a fiasco.
[Perhaps from the phrase neck and crop, completely.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Agriculture) a person who cultivates or harvests a crop
2. (Mechanical Engineering)
a. a cutting machine for removing the heads from castings and ingots
b. a guillotine for cutting lengths of bar or strip
3. (Textiles) a machine for shearing the nap from cloth
4. (Agriculture) a plant or breed of plant that will produce a certain kind of crop under specified conditions: a poor cropper on light land.
5. (Breeds) (often capital) a variety of domestic pigeon with a puffed-out crop
6. come a cropper informal
a. to fall heavily
b. to fail completely
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. one that crops.
2. a sharecropper.
3. a plant that furnishes a crop.Idioms:
come a cropper,
a. to fail decisively: His deal came a cropper.
b. to fall headlong.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. to come a cropper (= fall) → darse un batacazo, cazar la liebre; (= fail) [person] → llevarse una buena plancha or un buen planchazo; [project] → irse al garete
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
to come a cropper (= fall) → s'étaler (= fail) → se planter crop sprayer [ˈkrɒpspreɪər] n
(= device) → pulvérisateur m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
cropper[ˈkrɒpəʳ] n (fam) to come a cropper (fall badly) → fare un capitombolo; (fail completely) → fare fiasco
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995