cross-index(redirected from cross index)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. cross-in·dexed, cross-in·dex·ing, cross-in·dex·es
1. To index (a particular item) under more than one heading.
2. To furnish (an index in a book, for example) with cross-references.
To furnish cross-references.
(Journalism & Publishing) a note or notes referring the reader to other material
1. (Journalism & Publishing) (intr) (of a note in a book) to refer to related material
2. (Journalism & Publishing) to provide or be provided with cross-indexes
1. to provide with cross references or with a cross-referenced index.v.i.
2. to provide cross references.
cross′ in′dex, n.
Past participle: cross-indexed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cross-index - a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work|
cite, quotation, reference, mention, acknowledgment, citation, credit - a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
|Verb||1.||cross-index - make an index that refers from one point to the next; "These references are cross-indexed"|
index - list in an index