Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to crossbar: Crossbar switch
A horizontal bar, line, or stripe.
1. a horizontal bar, line, stripe, etc
2. (Soccer) a horizontal beam across a pair of goalposts
3. (Rugby) a horizontal beam across a pair of goalposts
4. (Athletics (Track & Field)) a horizontal bar mounted on vertical posts used in athletics or show-jumping
5. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) a horizontal bar mounted on vertical posts used in athletics or show-jumping
6. (Automotive Engineering) the horizontal bar on a man's bicycle that joins the handlebar and saddle supports
1. a horizontal bar, line, or stripe.
a. the horizontal bar of the goalpost, as in football and soccer.
b. a horizontal bar used for gymnastics.
c. a horizontal bar that must be cleared in performing the pole vault or high jump.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crossbar - a horizontal bar that goes across something|
bar - a rigid piece of metal or wood; usually used as a fastening or obstruction or weapon; "there were bars in the windows to prevent escape"
doubletree - a crossbar on a wagon or carriage to which two whiffletrees are attached in order to harness two horses abreast
|2.||crossbar - game equipment consisting of a horizontal bar to be jumped or vaulted over|
game equipment - equipment or apparatus used in playing a game
|3.||crossbar - long thin horizontal crosspiece between two vertical posts|
crosspiece - a transverse brace
goalpost - one of a pair of posts (usually joined by a crossbar) that are set up as a goal at each end of a playing field