Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A low-growing evergreen shrub (Empetrum nigrum) native to cool regions of the Northern Hemisphere and having tiny leaves, small pinkish or purplish flowers, and black, berrylike fruits.
2. The fruit of this plant.
[Probably translation of German Krähenbeere : Krähe, crow + Beere, berry.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) a low-growing N temperate evergreen shrub, Empetrum nigrum, with small purplish flowers and black berry-like fruit: family Empetraceae
2. (Plants) any of several similar or related plants
3. (Plants) the fruit of any of these plants. Also called: crakeberry
crow•ber•ry(ˈkroʊˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. a low evergreen shrub, Empetrum nigrum, of the crowberry family, bearing an edible black berry.
2. the berry itself.