Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A low-growing evergreen shrub (Empetrum nigrum) native to cool regions of the Northern Hemisphere and having tiny leaves, small pinkish or purplish flowers, and black, berrylike fruits.
2. The fruit of this plant.
[Probably translation of German Krähenbeere : Krähe, crow + Beere, berry.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) a low-growing N temperate evergreen shrub, Empetrum nigrum, with small purplish flowers and black berry-like fruit: family Empetraceae
2. (Plants) any of several similar or related plants
3. (Plants) the fruit of any of these plants. Also called: crakeberry
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
crow•ber•ry(ˈkroʊˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. a low evergreen shrub, Empetrum nigrum, of the crowberry family, bearing an edible black berry.
2. the berry itself.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crowberry - a low evergreen shrub with small purple flowers and black berrylike fruit|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.