Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A soda-lime optical glass that is exceptionally hard and clear, with low refraction and low dispersion.
2. A form of window glass made by whirling a glass bubble to make a flat circular disk with a lump left in the center by the glass blower's rod.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) another name for optical crown
2. (Building) an old form of window glass made by blowing a globe and spinning it until it formed a flat disc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an optical glass of low dispersion and generally low index of refraction.
2. an old form of window glass formed by blowing a globe and whirling it into a disk.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crown glass - a glass blown into a globe which is later flattened and spun to form a disk|
glass - a brittle transparent solid with irregular atomic structure
|2.||crown glass - optical glass of low dispersion and low refractive index|
optical glass - clear homogeneous glass of known refractive index; used to make lenses
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.