Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. See cryptogram.
2. A system of secret or cipher writing; a cipher.
a. A device for translating plaintext into ciphertext.
b. A device for deciphering codes and ciphers.
tr.v. cryp·to·graphed, cryp·to·graph·ing, cryp·to·graphs
To write (a message, for example) in code or cipher.
1. (Communications & Information) something written in code or cipher
2. (Communications & Information) a code using secret symbols (cryptograms)
3. (Communications & Information) a device for translating text into cipher, or vice versa
cryp•to•graph(ˈkrɪp təˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf)
2. a system of secret writing; cipher.
3. a device for translating text into cipher.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cryptograph - a secret method of writing |
code - a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
|2.||cryptograph - a piece of writing in code or cipher|
|3.||cryptograph - a device for deciphering codes and ciphers|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"