Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A geometric arrangement of the points in space at which the atoms, molecules, or ions of a crystal occur. Also called space lattice.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Chemistry) the regular array of points about which the atoms, ions, or molecules composing a crystal are centred
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -ticed, -tic•ing. n.
1. a structure of crossed wooden or metal strips usu. arranged to form a diagonal pattern of open spaces between the strips.
2. a window, gate, or the like consisting of such a structure.
3. an arrangement in space of isolated points in a regular pattern, showing the positions of atoms, molecules, or ions in the structure of a crystal.
4. a partially ordered set in which every subset containing exactly two elements has a greatest lower bound or intersection and a least upper bound or union.v.t.
5. to furnish with a lattice or latticework.
6. to form into a lattice.
[1350–1400; Middle English latis < Middle French lattis, derivative of latte lath < Germanic; see lath]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||crystal lattice - a 3-dimensional geometric arrangement of the atoms or molecules or ions composing a crystal|
lattice - an arrangement of points or particles or objects in a regular periodic pattern in 2 or 3 dimensions
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.