Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A piece of armor for protecting the breast and back, often consisting of two pieces fastened together.
b. The front piece of this armor.
2. Zoology A protective covering of bony plates or scales.
[Middle English curas, from Old French curasse, probably alteration (influenced by Old French cuir, leather) of Old Provençal coirassa, from Late Latin coriācea (vestis), leather (garment), feminine of coriāceus, from Latin corium, hide; see sker- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a piece of armour, of leather or metal covering the chest and back
2. (Zoology) a hard outer protective covering of some animals, consisting of shell, plate, or scales
3. (Nautical Terms) any similar protective covering, as on a ship
(Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) (tr) to equip with a cuirass
[C15: from French cuirasse, from Late Latin coriacea, from coriaceus made of leather, from Latin corium leather]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. plate armor covering the torso from neck to waist.
2. either of the two plates of a cuirass.
3. any similar covering, as a ship's armor.
4. a hard shell or other covering on an animal forming a defensive shield.v.t.
5. to equip or cover with a cuirass.
[1425–75; late Middle English curas < Middle French curasse, variant of cuirasse < Late Latin coriācea, n. use of feminine of coriāceus (adj.) leather = Latin cori(um) leather + -āceus -aceous]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: cuirassed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cuirass - medieval body armor that covers the chest and back|
backplate - plate armor protecting the back; worn as part of a cuirass
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.